Experts in hazardous area compliance, inspection and DSEAR
- Hazardous Area Risk Assessment and Classification
- Specification and Design of ATEX Systems
- Installation, Testing and Inspection of ATEX Systems
Inspec Systems are industry recognised experts in the compliance of electrical installations in hazardous areas as required by ATEX (ATmosphere EXplosibles) and DSEAR (Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmosphere Regulations).
We hold the NICEIC Hazardous Area Specialist extension with our Approved Contractor registration. This provides industry recognition of the competence and experience of our teams and is all down to the good work our people have carried out over the years to ensure our knowledge, training and quality systems are amongst the best in the land.
This means that not only can we work in explosive atmospheres, but also that we have been independently assessed and are subject to continual assessment, as being competent to do so.
Explosive atmospheres are those locations in which flammable gases, vapours, mists or combustible dusts, are able to form a flammable mixture with air which could be ignited in the presence of an ignition source (mechanical or electrical).
ATEX 137 (the ATEX Workplace Directive) and ATEX 95 (the ATEX Equipment Directive) are the European Legislation which is implemented within the EU member states to ensure a consistent standard is applied across the European Union in relation to these types of explosive atmospheres.
DSEAR is the UK enactment of ATEX 137 which places legal duties on employers to eliminate or control the risks from explosive atmospheres in the workplace. Failure to adhere to these regulations can result in investigation by the Health and Safety Executive who can serve improvement and prohibition notices as well as commencing legal proceedings concluding in fines and jail time.
Over the years we have established ongoing relationships with our customers who include worldwide leaders in a range of industries with ATEX requirements including:
- Oil and Gas Drilling
- Petrochemical Refining and Processing
- Fuel Storage
- Chemical manufacturing
- Power Generation
- Food manufacturers
- Coatings – paints, varnishes etc
Our key ATEX and DSEAR services, for which we have tried and tested quality systems, allow us to work with our clients to achieve their legislative requirements. These services include:
- Consultancy / Health checks – site visit(s) to assess your current management and maintenance systems and advise whether you are already compliant and how to maintain your compliance or a brief outline of how to achieve compliance if you are not quite there yet
- Electrical, instrumentation and control system detailed design for all protection methods by CompEx (unit Ex12) qualified and time served Engineers
- Installation by CompEx (units Ex01 to Ex06) qualified time served Technicians
- ATEX/DSEAR inspection and testing by CompEx (units Ex01 to Ex06) qualified time served electricians
At Inspec we are committed to ensuring our personnel have all the necessary knowledge and skills to perform their duties. Therefore, our design engineers, inspectors and installation teams are CompEx trained in the requirements of the BS EN 60079 series of standards for the following areas:
- EX01 - Preparation & Installation of Ex’d’, ‘n’, ‘e’ and ‘p’ electrical equipment
- EX02 – Maintenance & Inspection of Ex’d’, ‘n’, ‘e’ and ‘p’ electrical equipment
- EX03 – Preparation & Installation of EX ‘i’ equipment and systems
- EX04 – Maintenance & Inspection of EX ‘i’ equipment and systems
- EX05 – Preparation & Installation of electrical equipment for use in Explosive Dust Atmospheres
- EX06 – Maintenance & Inspection of electrical equipment for use in Explosive Dust Atmospheres
- EX12a – Design of Non-Intrinsically Safe electrical equipment installations in explosive atmospheres
- EX12b – Design of Intrinsically Safe electrical equipment installations in explosive atmospheres
The CompEx scheme is an industry recognised endorsement of both theory and practical skills. Further, our continued daily activity with ATEX and DSEAR projects ensures the ‘use it or lose it’ statement never comes into the fray. You can rest assured that our knowledge and ability to safely design, install, inspect and maintain your electrical equipment in hazardous areas will ensure you are in compliance with the ATEX Directives and DSEAR.
We adhere to the highest standards of health and safety management with all our personnel having undergone recognised health & safety training which is reinforced through weekly health & safety update sessions. This coupled with our ISO9001 approved Quality Management System means Inspec Systems Ltd are ‘your go to people’ for all Electrical ATEX and DSEAR needs.
For more detailed information regarding hazardous area regulation, your legal duties and how we can help, call today and speak to one of our engineers to arrange your Company’s free hazardous area health check.